Monday, January 1, 2024

Day 1: Starting My Journey

Click here to donate to my Believe 4 Nicholas 2024 Chicago Marathon efforts! 

πŸ’›Thank you in advance! πŸ’›


πŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘Ÿ



January 1, 2024

A new year is here!!! I've been so excited to start this new year and this journey! Running a full marathon has been on my life list (I don't say bucket list because I think that's a depressing way to say it!) for a LONG time. When I was in my 20's, I started running and even did two half marathons. I survived the first one and I thrived in the second one. 

Since then, I've done a few races but mostly ebbed and flowed as a runner. I get 30 minutes of purposeful movement pretty much every single day, and it's honestly what keeps me sane. It's my self care. As a busy mom of three who tries to also be a good wife, a superintendent in a small and awesome school district, an educational consultant, and an author (with 3 deadlines looming...eek!), finding that time in my home workout space that's just for me is my happy place. 

I've applied to the Chicago Marathon lottery a few times, never getting in. In the fall of 2023, I saw that the window opened but, instead of going to the lottery, I started researching the teams you can join to get a guaranteed bib as long as you fundraise. While searching, I came upon cancer research charities and it hit me. I knew how I was going to make this happen. 

You see, my dear friend and colleague, Geri Parscale, lost her son Nicholas after his amazingly brave battle against cancer. I texted her to see if I might be able to do this with her for a cause that she would endorse to honor Nick the Brave. She immediately responded YES and told me that The V Foundation had been one that was part of Nicholas' story. And did I mention that I'm a huge college basketball fan? Another magical connection to the cause!

Well, that did it. Within a few minutes, the logo was made and I was IN! 

Listen, 26.2 miles is a LONG way. I know I'm going to have to train hard, really focus, take care of myself, and, as race day gets closer, really prioritize making time to run so I'm ready. I also know I can do this. I'm committed (or maybe I SHOULD be committed...haha!) because I feel like this is bigger than me. I get to not only reach a personal goal but, by doing so, I'll raise money to help fight cancer and keep Nicholas' legacy alive. 

So stay tuned...I post regularly because 1) I think it will be cool to have an archive of this journey, 2) when running sucks, I'll look back at this and re-motivate myself, and 3) maybe you'll find this enlightening, entertaining, or just a fun distraction in your day. 

No matter what, thanks for checking in and cheering me on! LET'S DO THIS!!!

With gratitude and a splash of grace, 
Heather




No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 15: Updates and Polar Vortexes

   Click here to donate to my Believe 4 Nicholas 2024 Chicago Marathon efforts!  πŸ’›Thank you in advance! πŸ’› πŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘ŸπŸ‘Ÿ πŸ‘Ÿ...